For the last 8 years Croydon Conservatives have been running the Town Hall, and they have ignored the needs of Addiscombe’s residents. Croydon Tories have cut vital services to young people and the elderly and haven’t invested in street cleaning or tackled fly-tipping. New streetlights were promised years ago but are now only going in – and we have lost count of the number of pot-holes in local roads. Most recently Croydon Tories supported the closure of the parcel collection o4ce at East Croydon, which means local residents will have to go to Factory Lane to pick up a parcel.
Since 2010 Croydon Tories have more than doubled the cost of resident parking permits, but have failed to invest in our local roads. They have opposed our requests for road safety and traffic reduction measures on roads such as Davidson and Lebanon roads, ignored the needs of pedestrians and cyclists, and have come out against resident’s demands for 20mph zones.
Croydon Tories promoted and supported Menta’s 55-storey skyscraper on Cherry Orchard Road, rather than build affordable housing that local people can buy and rent and have worked with developers to build luxury tower blocks aimed at the buy-to-let speculators.
Our “Ambitious for Addiscombe” campaign means we intend to do things differently, based on what people have told us. Over the last four years we have worked closely with residents, community groups and local schools; produced a dedicated Addiscombe website and e-newsletter to better engage with residents and have undertaken local surveys and consultations, using your responses to campaign for much needed improvements to our area. Almost 500 have people responded to our recent surveys and we have used your ideas and feedback to produce our manifesto and our election pledges:
- Increase street cleaning & prosecute fly-tippers
- Deliver local jobs & apprenticeships as a priority
- Tackle those responsible for anti social behaviour
- Fast Track new street lighting for Addiscombe
- Support 20mph zones where residents want them
- Reduce speeding traffic on residential roads
- Reduce the cost of resident parking permits
- Crack down on rogue and criminal landlords
- Freeze council
There is more information in the Croydon Labour Party manifesto: LABOUR MANIFESTO – which includes our five key pledges:
- Building affordable housing to buy and rent
- Making every street clean and safe
- Tackling domestic violence and sexual exploitation
- Launching Croydon’s first Fairness Commission.
- Creating thousands of skilled local jobs.